It’s your running buddy and your fellow couch potato, and you adore your dog. But how much do you really know about dogs?
Sure, we know that dogs can’t eat chocolate, and one year of our life equates to seven of theirs, but dogs are far more interesting than they seem. Not to mention they are far more intelligent than you feel they are after they get into the trash for the millionth time.
Here are 10 dog facts that will make you love your pup even more.
1. Research has shown that dogs are the only species of animal that can read emotions on someone’s face in the same way that humans can.
2. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which can cause serious health problems for your dog, so if you think you’re treating your pet with a piece of chocolate, you could actually be treating them to a trip to the vet.
3. Some studies suggest that dogs with pronounced features and long snouts also live longer, whilst flat faced dogs such as Bulldogs have a shorter lifespan.
4. Each dog has a unique nose print akin to a human fingerprint – just like human fingers, no two doggy nose prints are the same.
5. Dogs produce oxytocin, a hormone that is present in humans when they feel jealousy or love.
6. Tail chasing is a throwback to the past, when dogs ran around in a circle to flatten tall grass and create a bed for themselves.
7. Dogs often seem scared in a thunderstorm but it could be that your dog’s reaction is actually as a result of pain. The frequency of thunderstorm noise can hurt your pets’ ears.
8. Around 50% of dogs who live to the age of ten or older will contract cancer. Dogs can get many of the cancers associated with humans including breast cancer, skin cancer and lymphoma.
9. Dogs can also smell cancer in humans. Some dogs are trained to sniff out abnormal cells and catch cancer in humans at its earliest stage.
10. We often hear that dogs don’t sweat and that panting is their way of cooling down. However, dogs do sweat, but only through their paws.