- 8 oz of dry pasta ( I use whole wheat)
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of onion
- 1 cup of green peppers
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small squash
- 1 tbs of olive or canola oil
- ½ container of mushrooms
- 1 cup of low fat cheese
- 4 oz of light cream cheese
- ½ lb of ground beef or turkey or more if you like your sauce really meaty
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Shred the squash, zucchini, and mushrooms using a box grater or shredding attachment for your food processor.
- Place the meat and all the veggies into the skillet and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- When done drain the fat if necessary, then add back into the pan and add the tomatoes along with the oil.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Using a hand blender or food processor, pulse the cottage cheese until smooth.
- Mix the cottage cheese with the cream cheese and set aside. Cook the pasta until al dente and then set it aside as well.
- Once you have the sauce and pasta done you can assemble your pasta.
- I start with a sauce layer, then ½ the pasta, more sauce and then the cream cheese mixture.
Then repeat, on the top level you should end with sauce and here is where I add the remaining shredded cheese and place in a 400 degree oven until the cheese is nice and bubbly.